Sunday, September 4, 2011

At Sea Day #2


August 30th, 2011
I woke to a bright and clear day, the sun shinning and not a cloud in the sky. Temperatures were blazing and the pool and the shade were the only relief from the sun’s gaze. I grabbed a quick breakfast buffet style and hit the gym for a nice long workout to help make time fly on this at sea day.

I warmed up for another intense spin class this morning as well. The focus of this class this time around was isolating the muscles used for speed and pushing your body to bike at 80 percent of your fastest level and continuously increase and decrease the speed from their. The class also isolated the muscle groups used to train endurance and strength. I had to bike at resistance levels that were 60 percent of the highest resistance I could go and then increase and decrease levels from there on cue. Finally, the third aspect of the class involved muscle confusion by combining both speed and resistance training.

I had to preform pushups and squats while biking at various speeds and resistance levels. The exercise was great! The hardcore hour of continuous biking really got the blood pumping and pushed me to new levels of training. The difficult combination of speed and resistance as well as the added tasks of pushups, squats, and other various exercises forced me to concentrate on the tasks at hand and my breathing.

Immediately after my spin class, I moved on to focusing on strengthening and toning specific muscle groups such as the arms and legs. (The workout is listed below). Today I made sure to push my body farther than I had gone any other time along this trip in order to continue to confuse the muscle groups and to train for the upcoming fencing season. I was pumped up from my spin class and was itching to jump right into the weight training.

After the exhausting workout I hit the pool deck for some R and R. I was looking forward to Venice and thought that killing time would make the venture move along a tad bit faster. So I caught some sun and even had the opportunity to see Kong Fu Panda 2 poolside!

Thanks for reading, please leave any questions or comments you have on my posts, adventures, training, etc. below!

1)   Jumping Squats
2)   Press Ups-10lbs
3)   Lunges with the opposite arm extended above with a weight-10lbs
4)   Hand to Elbow Pushups
(Set 1-16reps, Set 2-14reps, Set 3-12reps, Set 4-10reps, Set 5-8reps, Set 6-6reps. No break after 3rd set.)

Abdominal Workout
1)   Crossover Crunch with arm+leg extended-20 reps, 3 sets (each side)
2)   Sit ups-20 reps, 3 sets
3)   Reverse sit ups-20 reps, 3 sets
4)   Planks-1 minute, 3 sets

Courtney Dumas

No comments:

Post a Comment